Monday, March 30, 2009

Syracuse--sewing machine?

I'm going to work in central New York for six months while the cat stays here with Bryan and my furniture. Which sounds depressing...let's try "I'm going to test a new airport safety product for six months in a beautiful part of the country, where every weekend I can go take pictures somewhere I've never been before and drink beers I cannot drink in Wisconsin!" That's better.

The plan is to drive myself out with a Buick full of essentials, buy an air mattress, get a recliner and a table at the Salvation Army, and give it back to them in October (I have a friend there with a Jeep). Once I have an address, I can receive boxes of fabric in the mail. I will have my laptop and Photoshop. JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and AC Moore are all within 15-20 minutes of work; I already visited a traditional quilt shop in the area when I was there for the interview *grin*; I'm sure there are needlework and art supply stores somewhere between Buffalo (I have a friend there...) and Albany. So I should pack and ship odd stuff--hand-dyed fabrics, maybe my beer label collection--and not worry too much about forgetting a certain tool or color of thread. Although I don't see myself buying too much stuff, since it will all have to be donated or shipped back to Milwaukee.

I am dithering about whether or not to take the sewing machine...and/or the big plastic tubs of beads and sequins...and/or fabric paint. I haven't been using the machine or the embellishments lately, but that's different than not having them. I only plan to be "home" on rainy weekend days, and maybe not even then. And it would be fiscally responsible to pack the Buick with some dishes, towels, pans, etc, instead of art supplies. Handwork might be the best bet.

Whatever I pack, I will wish I had packed the other thing.

It has occurred to me that late April/early May is prime season for "dumpster diving around college campuses", which is how I obtained most of my dyeing/batiking equipment 10 years ago, including ironing boards (my iron is going with me for work clothing purposes).

The first week is obvious: I have been sporadically (on airplanes, mostly) working up a red, black, and gold paper-pieced Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt with 3200-ish hexagons. Three years, maybe 15% completed. No pictures--perhaps I'll have time tomorrow. Will be excellent mindless stitching for sitting in a hotel room thinking about a new job.

No comments: