Thursday, March 12, 2009

Aliens on backgrounds...

I've given up on making any sort of FFAC collage. Just not my thing--even in picking an image to work around, my good photographs are a whole composition and don't really lend themselves to being one element, photocopies of antique postcards look too flat, and most everything else that intrigues me has a copyright.

So then I was looking at my stack of aliens, and I noticed my stack of backgrounds, and I flipped them around for awhile.

Pink Option 1
The tacky metal word is too tacky. The background probably needs more stitching. Could also rotate the orientation 90 degrees. I wish there was more "stars" swirling above the alien...I could take the background apart try again, if I have more of the glitter fabric. I know I don't have any more dyed batting...

Pink Option 2
Same background, different alien. Same thoughts. Obviously, there can be only one here...

Blue Option 2
I'm not really sure about teal with navy blue, but I love the contrast between the orange the blue.

Blue Option 1
Same reservations about the teal, and about having horizontal stitch lines on both parts.

Obviously, a collage would need more than one element and a background. Stars, or stripes of color...

So, I could make a couple of pieces that finish to 8" x 10", but then I look around at other artists' submission, and the aliens seem...slapdash. Maybe childish.

I could use some honest comments, if you're inclined. :)

2 comments:

EmaDawn said...

I prefer the second one...the blue alien on the multi color background. That one's most pleasing to my eyes.

Dawn (emaleth)

Unknown said...

I don't think the aliens are childish, but rather...innocent. Childlike. I like them. Also, thanks for posting all those photos. We used to live in the Tannery buildings just W of the 6th St bridge, so it's all so familiar. Much as I love our new house, I miss WP a lot.