Monday, January 19, 2009

Paintstiks with rubbing plates and stencils

Experiments over the past couple of days:

Paintstiks

The boring purple fabric is very crisp--high twist, high thread count--and I vaguely remember it being about $5/yd when I ordered it PFD in 1999. And it turned out boring. Sigh.

Gingko rubbing plate
The Cedar Canyon Textiles "Leaf" rubbing plates are double-sided, in theory. In reality, one side looked better than the other on the gingko, and the fern looked so bad on both sides I didn't even bother to photograph them.
Gingko rubbing plate

I also tried a polymer-clay patterning plate I found in a box. Be very aware of where the edge of the pattern is--this piece has a couple of dark spots where the texture ended but I was scrubbing with the stik anyway:
Feather?

I then made a couple of stencils using a method from Jane Dunnewold's Complex Cloth: index cards (in lieu of cardstock, which I know I have but I haven't found in my back room yet), X-acto knife, and about four coats of acrylic sealant. These are just doodles from work:
Cheap Stencils

The directions on the box of paintstiks said to "put color on the stencil and push into open areas with a brush", which didn't really work as well as putting a little color into the open areas and then scrubbing it around. Consequently, the squares smaller than the tip of the paintstiks didn't work very well, but the bigger squares aren't bad...
Home-made stencils

I let the rubbings dry for two days. I have not yet heat-set them. The stencils I did tonight.

The box didn't say how to clean the brushes ("citrus based solvent"--seemed to work OK), but I found directions on the website after I finished.

Notes: This stuff gets all over everything.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I got a set of those with stencils as a gift. I haven't done much with them but now I'm tempted to get them out again.

Radish said...

You should! They're fun, albeit messy...I'm going to try to think of a serious project using them.