Sunday, June 11, 2006

Stash enhancement

On my way back yesterday from a short trip to Iowa to visit Ron, I stopped off at Sun Prairie WI to visit the quilt shop there and found they were going out of business because the owner was retiring. I hauled off 25 FQs of cotton lamรฉ (yeah, twist my arm...), two yards off a bolt, and some thread for $31. I felt like I was taking advantage of her, and I'm grumpy that a store with fabrics I can actually use (i.e., not just "country colors") is no longer available.

And at an antique store in Mt. Horeb I got a quart bag of buttons and belt buckles for $3.50, which shocked the cashier because most of the booths were selling quart jars for $20-25. Even subtracting $5 for the jar, that's just ridiculous! Also loaded u
p on thirty-two 80s-colored zippers for $5. I don't know what I'll use them for; I'll probably put them in the box with the vintage trims that I bought at that estate sale in Indianapolis in 1998.

I still haven't been to any local Milwaukee fiber-art or quilt sho
ps. Maybe if I ever get to stay in town for a weekend...

I also dro
pped a whole lot of money at Hobby Lobby in Dubuque on a new cutting mat, non-stick pressing sheet, and magnetic heart-shaped pin dish (from the new Fons and Porter line of accessories).


I'm just buying stuff to disguise the fact that I'm not MAKING anything (and because, well, I have money again!). I haven't even finished un
packing the kitchen to a point I can start dyeing. Sigh. Self-sabotage.

1 comment:

Sonji Hunt said...

My experience has been that you have to accummulate things when you are having creative down time. Then, when you are ready to rock 'n roll again, you have a supply to work from. How's that?

Hey, if you live in Glendale, Heather, then we don't live very far from one another. Oooo. Socializing, perhaps.