Friday, February 20, 2009

Milwaukee Art Museum

Today's fruitless attempt to avoid going insane with purposelessness: MAM. I just went over the holidays to study the folk/outsider/Haitian art, so I skipped all that and made a beeline to the temporary exhibit of 19th century hand-tinted prints. They thoughtfully provide magnifying glasses for better admiration of the fine details on the engravings. I must go back sometime next month to study them again, as I struggle with "where to put the quilting lines."

The museum was fairly empty once the teenagers on field trips left (kids--check the corners of Matrix XV for old ladies in dark clothing before you decide it's a cool place to make out, please!), and I finally got to go into Stanley Landsman's Walk-In Infinity Chamber, which was incredible.

Now I'm trying to understand why I was drawn to Hans Hofmann's "Meadow Splendor" in December, but today it was just sort of there:
Hans Hofmann, Meadow Splendor, 1959

I get in free through June, and I have three punches left on my parking-garage pass, so I'll have to go back. Maybe catch a gallery talk now that I have nowhere to be on weekday afternoons.

No comments: