Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Shelburne Museum

Bryan took me to Vermont last weekend. We visited friends in Bristol and Sunday we went to the Shelburne Museum. They had four quilt exhibits.

The "Amish quilts" weren't anything special. Most of them were "Amish patterns" made with prints by non-Amish women. Boring. The "contemporary Vermont quilts" were a mixed bag (and the very famous quilters had lent them quilts that were ten years old or more). Apparently none of them impressed me enough to take pictures.

The dozen or so late 19th and early 20th century quilts from the permanent collection that were on display were nice. Very brown and pink. I was most impressed by the display system.

I did enjoy the exhibition of quilts by Rosie Lee Tompkins (Effie Mae Howard). They made me want to go make something right then and there.

And yet, they irritated me in the same way the Gee's Bend quilts did--if any Midwestern pale-skinned woman of the same age and economic status made crooked quilts with icky used fabrics and big stitches, they'd be used as dog blankets, not considered fine art.

But there's something very compelling about the lamé.

(I'm probably irritated because I haven't done anything interesting since the bleach experiments, and no free time in sight.)

No comments: