Monday, July 30, 2007

That's where the tall corn grows

Drove to Iowa with Bryan this past weekend for my class reunion *waves*. Stayed in Ames at the Gateway, where we saw a quilt by Priscilla Kepner Sage, my fiber studio professor back at the turn of the century, in the lobby.

Then we met my folks downtown, where we randomly found that Kimberly Baxter-Packwood, a classmate in that studio, had opened a physical storefront for The Prairie Fibers Co. on Main Street (!!). I was very impressed--all kinds of hand-dyed and uncolored fibers and fabric, a wet studio/classroom back behind the counter, and several finished pieces on the walls.
She had all the wool 30% off, but I ended up getting some packets of silk dyed with her natural dies and a bunch of silk cocoons (with the worms still inside).

Serendiptious quiltiness, and procrastination fodder for the Journal Quilt. After I took Bryan to the airport this afternoon I finished the machine stitching to the point I can start encrusting with sequins. I think there's something wrong with my machine--it won't sew a stitch of a consistent length; if I don't push the fabric through the stitches are barely a millimeter long (yes, the feed dogs are up). Maybe I'll just buy a better machine....

No comments: