Monday, January 29, 2007

Block print experiments


Starting to make some art again.

For Yule, my best friend Chele gave me a wooden block used to print resist for South Carolina indigo dyeing. I suddenly felt like doing a little block printing. The arrival of the latest Quilting Arts in the mail with an article on block printing was serendipitous or synchronous or something...

I designed a block based on printed circuit boards, because I am a geek. Spent Saturday carving and only cut myself three times.

I think maybe this would have been a better design for screen printing; it's too detailed.

First try was with a metallic paint; it didn't transfer very well. The best print was on a scrap of cheap muslin that I'd been using to wipe paint off of brushes. D'oh! I'll have to use a transparent wash to cover some of that up.

Tonight I made a few prints with a normal pink paint, and they look a little better. Here they are drying on my studio wall.

That's my main man Marvin on that bulletin board. We're going to the Super Bowl. :) I expect to be making some art about that, especially after we win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big fun, going to the SuperBowl. I will watch on tv. Hold up a radish so I know where you are!

The block print is interesting. Sort of molecule-ish-model-ish.

Radish said...

Oh, I don't actually get to go to Miami with the Colts. If I had the $3500+ for a ticket to the game, I'd go to QSDS instead...